"America is cultivating a 'culture of offense,' whereby as groups and individuals, we look to be offended. Yet, we should not be victims, and we shouldn't allow others to wound us. If someone insults or hurts us, we should focus on the 'hurt,' and not on the 'wound.'"
Resonate - to relate harmoniously : strike a chord
Offend - to cause difficulty, discomfort, or injury
I believe you choose to be offended (in a general sense), but do not have a choice about what resonates with you. Let's start with what I have chosen to be offended by:
- Howard Stern's radio show. I simply do not listen therefore am not offended any longer.
- Gruesome horror films. The thought of these films causes a physical reaction, as I have grown older.
- My ex-mother-in-law judgement's of me . This was certainly about my own wounds of feeling inadequate. I rather like her now.
- Too much stuff in my home. It drowns out the stuff that resonates with me.
Now my resonate list or what I like to call my OH Yes Moments. You don't just go out and buy stuff that resonates with you. It's sort of like happily browsing, not forcing a purchase and suddenly, "BAM! Harmonious angels singing" And when I am not in the present moment, I miss the moments that resonate with me.
- Earthy colors
- My children's laughter
- Junk repurposed into cool stuff, IE: mobile hanging in my kitchen and my new prickly pickle necklace
- The uncontrollable urge to wiggle my butt when I hear music
- Cheesecake with strawberries
- Any fruity smelling eau de toilette
- Being myself, IE: being really corny and goofy (does anybody have a job that pays for being corny and goofy?)
- Driving through the Bad Lands in South Dakota imagining Native America's being there long ago
- Brief moments when my children are loving towards each other
In conclusion, in order for me to be in my resonate frequency 24/7, I must tour in the Bad Lands, dressed as a Prickly Pickle Native American, telling corny jokes, while dancing to sounds of my wind chime, while eating cheesecake. Afterwards I will spray myself with fruity eau de toilette and force my children to meditate with me, which will stop them from frighting.
OF COURSE I'M KIDDING. HA HA GET IT. I'M BEING MY CORNY SELF.
The beauty about resonate is that it such a natural thing that can't be forced. Take these moments as they come and soak them in. You will be so busy finding the harmony you won't have time to be offended.