Thursday, December 17, 2009

Born to Pursue the American Dream?

Sometimes I could just kick myself. What the heck was I thinking? Have I been brain washing to believe I was born to pursue the American dream. I now believe much of it is just a hoax to hypnotize us into CONSUMING? The whole realization that we've been programmed to mindlessly consume makes me want to vomit!

Let's take a mortgage. Wikipedia claims mortgage comes from the Old French "dead pledge," apparently meaning that the pledge ends (dies) either when the obligation is fulfilled or the property is taken through foreclosure. Ok mortgages are not evil, but when you are handcuffed to your mortgage and it influences your life and decisions to the point that it prevents you from pursuing your born belief and purpose that is a serious problem.

We were not born to "work" for 40 years so we can have a happy retirement. We were born to enjoy life, you know the ebb and flow of life. We were born to have mini retirements throughout our lives, but when we are handcuffed to a mortgage that doesn't give us the flexible to experience life, it buries and weighs us down.

Start thinking about your beliefs. Are they your own beliefs? What things have buried your own beliefs. What beliefs have your bought or borrowed?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pieces of my "Old School" version of American Dream is a mortgage that can be afforded on one paycheck, a reliable vehicle (or two) in the driveway (can be purchased used). Not buying more or bigger than what you really need to keep up with the Jones' or society in general. More and bigger usually means more work for the person who owns it. I come from a generation of large families.
7 kids and 2 Parents in a 3 bedroom home with 1 bathroom and it worked. One paycheck, one car, and it worked. One black and white TV and it worked. Hand me downs, and it worked. Families were happy, comfortable, safe, warm with so much less than today and to me, that is the American Dream.

Dancing B*a*g Lady said...

Amen! to that. Good for you anonymous.