Sunday, July 5, 2009

Go Play House




Before Little Tikes Deluxe Kitchen Sets there was my dad the cabinet maker, house builder. Thirty odd years ago, as a young girl my dad made my sister and mini kitchen cabinets with "formica" counter top with upper and lower cabinets.





We played house, tapping into our imagination, never far from our thoughts and vision at this young age. Our house was contained to a corner of our room- maybe only a 6'x6' world. Just imagine how easy it was to keep this area clean.







Preparing to go back home from our camper this weekend I was transported to my years of playing house. The camper, a small contained world of no television or computers gives room for laughter and play. I washed dishes in a "small" sink. I vacuumed carpet with a small handheld dirt devil. I disinfected a small toilet, which makes it harder for boys and men to hit the hole, if you know what I mean.Here's what I know now and knew as a little girl.






PLAY, just PLAY.

HUGE THINGS CAN BE CONTAINED IN SMALL PACKAGES.

MANY SIMPLE TASKS CAN ADD TO BE A WHOLE BUNCH.

I LOVE PLAYING WITH PEOPLE WHO LOVE EACH OTHER.







I am grateful for everything. I vow to approach my work as if I where playing because when I do it is so satisfying, wonderful where great things emerge.


Now........ for 30 seconds stop what you are doing, close your eyes and remember playing as a child.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a thoughtful post, I know what you mean ..it is a feeling of freedom to reduce your world to one little wonderful, manageable space!! Wish I could do it more often....and I so envy your little play kitchen!!