Tuesday, November 25, 2008

B*A*G Book Notes - Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen

Here's an update on an old soul reading some new material post. I finished reading, Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen, described by the Boston Globe as, "Hilarious...Pure outlandish silliness.. A breakneck narrative.



OUTLANDISH - Yes
SILLINESS - Yes, but not my kind of silly
BREAKNECK NARRATIVE - Hmmm maybe

For an old soul that too easily slides into her comfort zone in almost every part of her life this Dancing B*A*G Lady is glad to have ventured out with a new kind of book. Here's what she learned.... (now back to Kim in the first person).

  1. I like lists. As I review my posts I see numbered lists. My weird way of weaving order into my holistic sometimes fuzzy style.

  2. There is a tasteful way of describing sexuality in a novel without being vulgar. As they always say, leaving something to the imagination is way more erotic and interesting.

  3. There are so many truths in fiction, as fiction is derived from a true life story just rearranged. This opens up your mind to new possibilities for life, good or bad.

  4. By the end of this bizarre story I was schooled enough to construct an even more bizarre ending than the author put to paper. Maybe he did that on purpose so we could feel our creative abilities or maybe to reassure us that at the core all people are good.
  5. I will read another fiction novel, as a very nice lady saw my endless browsing at the bookstore and recommended a fiction book and the another helpful shopper seconded the motion, Water the Elephants by Sara Gruen.
This book is a New York Times Bestseller, so there you go.

Side note, the more I read the more time I commit to reading. I guess I need to make up for too many years of being uninformed and uninspired. I think it might be rubbing off on my kids, I hope.

No comments: