Saturday, September 20, 2008

B*A*G Book Notes - Why Work Sucks Chapter Three


A Results-Only Work Environment




Phil has worked in a ROWE (Results Only Work Environment) for 3 1/2 years. Basically Phil talks about focus, focus, focus on results, not cutting yourself into 46 pieces so you can give one piece to each of your 46 goals. Dancing B*A*G Lady translation, "Yes, yes, now I see I will give 1/46th of my brain to 1/46th of the puzzle, that's how I'll will get some results." Damn here's the problem, I'm not good at puzzles so I am not sure how we can get the 46 pieces back together again to make a whole.



Ok, I'm going to be honest about this chapter, boring. Where's the drama, the back stabbing, the judgement? Oh yah, I'm not reading a romance novel, I'm reading about businesses. Not that getting and focusing on results isn't fun, but many of us don't have the privilege of being around motivated, freed employees. If we did live in a ROWE reality I think we would love it and fight to keep it. That sounds pretty fun to me. It just takes a little getting used to.

Now get a load of the definition ROWE evolved into, "Each person is free to do whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as the work gets done." Starting to sound like they are really serious. I'm going to have a discussion like this with my daughter concerning her bedroom (she's thirteen). "Paige, you are free to do whatever you want, whenever you want as long as your room is kept free of wet towels and molding cereal bowls." Um, I don't think so, but honestly some managers think they need to treat their employees like 13 year olds. Not very empowering.



Cali and Jody do bring up of the matter of hourly employees. The Department of Labor requires by law that non-exempt employees still track their time in order to get paid. I little technicality for ROWE.


Finally, change is hard, but worth it. If you're judged on results, not time, you get pretty clear about what results are needed AND you know they mean business when you listen to how Trey talks about his work leading into chapter four. ROWE ROCKS!!!! JUST ASK TREY.

No comments: